FamilyFun favorite: Perk up a lunchbox with our Bunny Blondies, a yummy cross between carrot cake and brownies. Here’s the recipe!
8 medium carrots
2½ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
2½ teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1½ sticks of butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
⅓ cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Heat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking pan.
2. Peel, trim, and finely shred the carrots (you can use store-bought shredded carrots).
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
4. With a mixer set on medium, blend the butter and both sugars in a separate bowl until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and the vanilla and beat on medium until well blended. With the mixer on low, mix in the carrots.
5. Stir in the butterscotch chips and walnuts, if using, then blend in the flour mixture completely. Pour the batter into the dish and spread it evenly.
6. Bake on the center rack until the batter has risen slightly and a thin crust has formed, 30 to 35 minutes. Do not overbake. Test for doneness by inserting toothpicks into the bars 1 inch and 2 inches from the edge, and in the center. The first should come out clean, the second with a little batter, the third with a little more.
7. Cool on a wire rack. Run a knife around the rim of the pan, then cut up into bars.